Downtime refers to periods when IT systems are unavailable. In the case of data centres, downtime can more or less mean a catastrophe. Besides the tremendous costs of recovery and loss of business, companies often overlook the effect on corporate reputation and the loss of customers. A study on the cost of downtime made in 2016 by Ponemon Institute, mentioned the following areas of impact:
- Damage to mission-critical data
- Impact on organisational productivity
- Damage to equipment and other assets
- Cost of detecting and fixing systems and core business processes
- Legal and regulatory impact, including litigation defence costs
- Loss of confidence and trust among key stakeholders
- Weakened brand and reputation
Another study made 2017 by ITIC show that 98% of large organisations with more than 1000 employees say that on average, an hour of downtime annually cost them over $100,000.
Datacenters are rated by Uptime Institute från Tier I-IV depending on their reliability. EcoDataCenter offers 100% uptime for our Tier IV services. Read more about Tier IV here.